Ractopamine Free Swine Show - Defiance County
- The Defiance County Livestock Committee approved a motion (2/26/20) making the 2020 Defiance County Fair Swine Shows ractopamine-free. This includes both Junior Fair and Open Class swine and means pigs exhibited at the 2020 Defiance County Fair have never been fed or exposed to ractopamine sources from the time of birth to the time of harvest.
- Market Hogs at the 2020 Defiance County Fair will be subject to testing for ractopamine by both the Defiance County Senior Fairboard and the buyer/packer bidder. If a pig tests positive for ractopamine, the Defiance County Senior Fairboard and the buyer/packer bidder reserves the right to determine disciplinary and financial penalties against the exhibitor. Financial penalties may include covering the total packer bill for all hogs sold and all associated cost with lost products.
Proof of Ractopamine Free Swine Project:
The Livestock Committee adopted a requirement that two affidavits must be received from each exhibitor regarding their swine exhibit.
The first affidavit is to be completed by the pig’s breeder and is due at Central Tagging on June 6. Find that Seller/Producer Affidavit linked here.
The second affidavit will be from the parent/guardian and is due at fair weigh in. Find that Parent/Legal Guardian Affidavit linked here.
Ractopamine Free Facts/Info
- A Ractopamine-Free Swine Project -Primer : published by Ohio State University Extension
- A Ractopamine-Free Swine Project : published by Ohio State University Extension
- Exhibiting a Ractopamine-Free Swine Project : fact sheet from Ohio Pork Council, ODA, Ohio State Fair and OSU Extension
- Ractopamine Free Pork and Implications for Use in Growing Pigs : FAQ : by Swine Medicine Education Center, Iowa State University
- Ractopamine bans at fairs mean changes for many hog exhibitors : article by Ohio’s Country Journal
- Ractopamine-free market swine projects at the Ohio State Fair : OSF press release